Saturday, March 10, 2007

Melchizedek

Psalm 110
This is the Lord's oracle to my lord:
'Sit at my right hand,
and I shall make your enemies your footstool.'
The Lord extends the sway of your powerful sceptre, saying
'From Zion reign over your enemies.'
You gain the homage of your people
on the day of your power.
Arrayed in holy garments, a child of the dawn,
you have the dew of your youth.
The Lord has sworn an oath and will not change his mind:
'You are a priest for ever,
a Melchizedek in my service.'
The Lord is at your right hand:
he crushes kings on the day of his wrath.
In glorious majesty he judges the nations,
shattering heads throughout the wide earth.
He will drink from the stream on his way;
therefore he will hold his head up high.

I am presupposing that most New Testament reader are familar with the book of Hebrews. I say this to avoid any long introduction about it. I delight in the book of Hebrews, because no one knows who wrote it, yet it speaks to the whole Church in a manner unlike any other book in the Bible.

In Hebrews 5:6 we read, "You are a priest forever in the order of Melchizedek."

No comments: